Earlier this year, we mentioned about making apple butter. So, we thought we would now give you a recipe idea so you can put your slow cooker to use and make a batch of apple butter.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter Recipe
- 6½ lb apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples and mix well.
- Cook in a slow cooker on low for about 10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover, stir in the vanilla and continue cooking uncovered on low for about 2 hours.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the apple butter until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze.
- Serve on breads, muffin, pork chops or just eat it with a spoon.